Charitable Gift Annuity
A charitable gift annuity is a gift made to The Ohio University Foundation that can provide you with a secure source of fixed payments for life.
Benefits of a charitable gift annuity
- Receive fixed payments to you or another annuitant you designate for life
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction for the charitable gift portion of the annuity
- Partial bypass of capital gains tax on contributed assets
- Benefit from payments that may be partially tax-free
- Designate the remainder to further the mission of Ohio University
How a charitable gift annuity works
- Complete a short agreement with The Ohio University Foundation
- Transfer cash or publicly traded securities to The Ohio University Foundation.
- In exchange, we promise to pay fixed payments to you for life. The payout rate is based on your age, and a portion of your income may be tax-free.
- You will receive a charitable income tax deduction, and a partial bypass capital gain tax, for the gift portion of the annuity.
If you decide to fund your gift annuity with cash, a significant portion of the annuity payment will be tax-free. You may also make a gift of appreciated securities to fund a gift annuity and avoid a portion of the capital gains tax.
If you have any questions about charitable gift annuities, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer your questions.
Current charitable gift annuity (payments begin within one year). With a current gift annuity, you may transfer cash or property in exchange for our promise to pay you fixed payments beginning as early as this year. You will receive an income tax charitable deduction this year for the value of your gift to The Ohio University Foundation .
Deferred charitable gift annuity (for payments at future date). Perhaps you are not ready to begin receiving payments until a future date, such as when you retire. With a deferred gift annuity, you establish the gift annuity today, receive a charitable income tax deduction this year, but defer the payments until a designated date sometime in the future. Best of all, because you deferred the payments, your annual payment will be higher when the payments start than they would have been with a current gift annuity.
Flexible deferred charitable gift annuity (gives you flexibility as to when the payments will start). With a flexible deferred gift annuity, you retain the flexibility to decide when the annuity will begin making payments. As with a deferred gift annuity, you establish the annuity today and receive a charitable deduction this year, but the payments are deferred until such time as you elect to begin receiving the payments.